Moving home can be a daunting task. It involves stressful situations and complicated logistical details. To have an easy and simple move, read these relocation tips and follow them. Maintain peace of mind and deal with complex situations easily.
1. Start cleaning with your cupboards, cupboards, toy chests, shelves, attic, garage and basement. Discard anything that you have not used since last 2-3 years. You are unlikely to use these stuffs at new place. Donate these items to charity or keep a garage sale.
2. Collect security deposits or advance on utilities or rentals.
3. Consider leaving behind extra large furniture, heavy electronic items that have become old. Consider the size of your new before moving in. There is no point to carry useless items. Fewer inventories means less transport cost.
4. Make a complete list of inventory to be finally shifted at new home. Also decide which indoor plants will come and which will stay behind.
5. Use up perishable food items like milk, frozen foods, vegetables and fruits. It is pointless to carry a heavy load of canned or packaged foods at new home.
6. Inform the security companies and regular service providers regarding your moving date and time.
7. Also inform post office, newspapers and magazine subscriptions and other correspondents regarding change of address.
8. Consult your family doctor before moving grandparents and old parents regarding their fitness and health.
9. Consult with vet nary doctor, if you have pets and make the necessary preparations to move them.
10. Collect the items in advance you have lent to your neighbors and friends. Also do not forget to return borrowed items like books, rental movie CDs and so on.
11. Plan your move during wee hours so that you don’t get struck in peak hour traffic jams.
12. Always keep medical kits, deposable plates, glasses, torch and candles handy during the move.
13. Keep detailed records & receipts of all relocation expenses. This would allow you to get an idea regarding the amount of expenditure.
14. Defrost your fridge, use up cooking gas cylinders and oil from kerosene heaters. If you are transporting cars, scooters and bikes they should contain a quarter of a tank of fuel.
15. Prepare your kids for the move and ask them to prepare their special treasure box with games, toys and snacks for the trip.
16. Keep your mobile phone charged and connected throughout your moving day.